Home Forums RAC Main Forum General Discussion Observing tonight?

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 2,593 total)
  • Author
    Mr.Gorp
    Participant

We (Julie and I) were planning on it. Should be there some time after 10. Looks to be a decent night if the clouds hold off.

Anything that might be of particular intrest to view tonight?

Luka B
      Participant

This was from last night, and it was a fun time. Jerome and Jillissa joined me. We looked at the Trapezium and M42, Sigma Orionis, Mars, Saturn, and a  few others. We also did some binocular observing of some of the larger clusters.

Regarding tonight, I may go again, if its clear.

Jeff Newland
        Participant

Luka, was that heading to Keller again or are you heading to Eagle Bluff?

Luka B
          Participant

I was thinking of Keller at first, but I notice that it is a dark sky weekend.  Will anyone be going to Eagle Bluff? I'm not really sure then.

Dean Johnson
            Participant

I have my brother Larry home from Nevada. He doesn't come around very often. I'm going to the Flatin Farm.

I hope you guys get out. Venus and Mercury were spectacular last night.

Luka B
              Participant

Well, if it clears up, I would go to Keller tonight. I've got my fingers crossed.

Enjoy hanging out with your brother Dean!

Dean Johnson
                Participant

Thank you Luka. I've had fun pointing out Venus and Mercury paired together in the evening sky the last few nights.

I am really looking forward to seeing all of you RAC folks at the next meeting, NCRAL, and whenever we can get a great night at Eagle Bluff!

Luka, if you don't go to NCRAL, get the troops out observing this next weekend. This is the first time in six years that the NCRAL is scheduled for a dark sky weekend. Very unusual.

See you Tuesday at Randy's!

Dean Johnson
                  Participant

Hello everyone. I got out for four hours tonight. I checked out my new 13mm Televu Ethos. WONDERFUL! You should have seen M3, M13, M42/M43, M41, M35, M82 and Saturn through that eyepiece. I had a lot of fun checking out my old favorites of the Obvious Stuff.

I got observations of Mars and Vesta, and nailed NGC 2811 for the Herschel 400. I tried for an hour to pick out NGC 2974 in Sextans, but I just could not see it. Conditions weren't the absolute best tonight to be sure. I HAVE to nail that galaxy down, because it is one that could "slide past the meridian" if I don't get it during this dark sky period.

An old buddy of mine drove by on his four wheeler tonight and I showed him a bunch of stuff. Bill picked out a satelitte and we even briefly saw a few streaks of Northern Lights tonight. That was the first I've seen of that since Nov. 2006, I think. I'll have to check my journals. Betty and the kids are sleeping and I didn't want to wake them by bringing my stuff in.

It was a great night!

John Attewell
                    Participant

Last night was a big step for me; I got my first Messier target on the AstroLeague Messier Club list.  It was M44.  I didn?t know my first object was going to be that easy ? or that large and that beautiful.  I was aided significantly by Mars being just a few degrees away.  The thrill of nailing a target without the help of a more experienced observer at my elbow was quite unexpected.  Also, doing the homework on my target BEFORE going out was fun too as well as essential to a successful hunt.  I was also very pleased that the new accessories, that I recently bought, proved to be very helpful; with the exception of a diagonal I just got in the mail.  I guess those kinds of diagonals just don?t work on reflectors.

I found a really nice form on the AstroLeague web site to use as an observing log.  It was very helpful for a rookie.  Dean, you are right about the Peterson Field Guide to Astronomy; it is the perfect source of information.  I moved it off my bookshelf and into my field bag.

Unfortunately, I got a little cocky and tried to nail M67 after I found M44.  I tried for an over an hour and couldn?t locate it.  After I packed up my equipment I went back to my library to see where I went wrong.  After a little more study, I realized that I got disoriented with the lens projecting the image upside down and reversed.  I?m going to have to spend some time getting that into my head.  Too bad that diagonal didn?t work.

I see that this weekend might be good for observing.  Watch out M67; I?m going to get you.

Luka B
                      Participant

Great job John! Glad you succeeded in finding M44.  Where did you observe from?

I'm going to try to get to Keller tonight for some observing and imaging. You and anyone else is welcome to join. I'll try to be there around 9, but it may be later than that.

Jeff Newland
                        Participant

I think I'll head out to Keller, too.  If I do, I'll probably be there before 9:00.  Probably see you there then Luka.  Anyone else, head on out.  🙂

sregener
                          Participant

[quote author=johnattewell link=topic=233.msg3832#msg3832 date=1271426356]
                            Watch out M67; I?m going to get you.[/quote]

M67 is a pretty tough one for me in Rochester.  I've seen it in my 4.5" on nights of good-to-excellent transparency, but it was only when I upgraded to a 10" that I was able to see it clearly and consistently.  Don't forget to check out some of the beautiful double stars in Cancer while you're in the area…

Jeff Newland
                            Participant

I think I'll be heading out to Keller again tonight.  Everyone welcome, come on out.  🙂

Luka B
                              Participant

I'm heading out to Keller again as well. Would love to have a few other people join us.

John Attewell
                                Participant

I?m interested in going to Keller WMA but I can?t find where I can park and setup my telescope.  I see on Google Earth that there is a small area just off Hwy 15 that looks like a tiny parking lot.  Can anyone tell me where would be the best spot to setup?

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 2,593 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.