Home Forums RAC Main Forum General Discussion 2019 Star B-Que

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

I talked to Karlin, the park supervisor for Olmsted County. We can use Root River overnight for a Star B-Que, but we are not allowed to camp there. I've never been to one of our Star B-Ques before, so I am not sure if this is a deal breaker for us. The dates are open, nobody has the park reserved. If we use the park, and once we decide the date, she will email me a letter that states that we have permission to be in the park all night. This way, if the sheriff shows up, we have documentation to show.

For those of you that have not been to Root River yet, here is a link to the park information:

https://www.co.olmsted.mn.us/pw/parks/rootriverpark/Pages/default.aspx

The park has dark skies, a porta-potty, picnic tables and some grills and is close to Rochester. It is pretty remote. There is a dirt road for less than a mile that leads to the park entrance that has some major potholes, so be careful!

Chester Woods is another candidate because it has camping, however, the camping location is pretty far from the observing area and I am not sure about campsite availability for those that want to camp. Camping was full last week.

If we agree that Root River is the place to hold it, I will start a poll to pick the date. I think that it is a great place to do it, I'm just not sure about the no-camping rule though.

Thoughts?

darkskyjim
      Participant

i think it does take away quite a bit by not camping but mainly for people that might be traveling
        a great distance. i have never been to Chester Woods or Oxbow (the other park we could camp at)
        so i don't know what the lay out is as far as observing?
        jim

admin
        Keymaster

I think that the challenge at Chester Woods is that the camp sites are located pretty far from the observing area.  So we might have to drive back and forth if it is too far to walk for some. I've highlighted the areas on this picture. I've also never camped at Oxbow, someone else might have some input.

Attachments:

darkskyjim
          Participant

well, Dean already chimed in on the Observing thread that he is okay with the Root River
            site so that is good enough for me. lets just hope for some good weather!

Luka B
            Participant

I'm fine with Root River park. Just because there is no camping, doesn't mean napping isn't allowed.  I can imagine for many members that the proximity to Rochester is an ok trade-off  to the no-camping policy. For those that travel, we could probably come up with couch space to crash in Rochester, if necessary.

admin
              Keymaster

Sounds good!
                Dean, are we looking at Sept 28th at Root River? If so, I can get the letter from Olmsted stating that we have permission to stay there all night.

Randy H
                Participant

Currently tonight is looking better than Saturday.  Cloudy early, clear later.  Saturday: clear early and cloudy at midnight.
                  I?d be in for tonight.
                  What are others thinking?

Randy

Randy H
                  Participant

Now it doesn't look good for either night to get together.  Maybe Sunday…

Dean Johnson
                    Participant

Heck yeah, I'd be in favor of Sept. 28th at Root River. There are already fire pits and a port-a-potty there.

Hopefully the Park Rangers would stop by to get a better "look" at what we like to do.

John Attewell
                      Participant

I liked the locations nearer the Iowa border (like Flatten Farm or Eagle Bluff).  I'd prefer to go there.  However, Root River will work in a pinch.  I'll just pack a gallon of coffee and prepare to stay awake.

admin
                        Keymaster

Are we on for this weekend at Root River? I am happy to send out a club email if so. What time would we gather? I haven't been to one yet.

John Attewell
                          Participant

I'm a little confused.  Isn't Star-B-Q supposed to be the 27th and 28th and not this weekend?  John, maybe you meant to post this weekend's observing event on the board for "Observing tonight" and not for "2019 Star B-Que?"

ellenvega
                            Participant

Is there going to be an attempt at having the StarBQ this weekend?

darkskyjim
                              Participant

i think it is Friday or Saturday weather permitting at Root River park?
                                i missed the last meeting but that was the plan…

John Attewell
                                Participant

Does anyone have any information about Star B-Que this weekend?????  I assume it's at Root River but is it Friday or Saturday?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.