Home Forums RAC Main Forum General Discussion Observing tonight?

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 2,593 total)
  • Author
    sregener
    Participant

I was up early this morning, so I dragged the scope from the garage and went after some mid-summer targets.  I had tried for M101 on a previous night and failed, because transparency was pretty bad that night.  Last night seemed pretty good so I gave it another go.  At 70X, with averted vision, I could just make out a fuzzy patch.  Occasionally, I thought I caught glimpses of the core.  I'm sure it would look much better where the skies aren't lit up.  I tried bumping the power up to 120X to boost contrast, but it dimmed the galaxy too much to spot, even with averted vision.  Bolstered by my success, I went after another Messier still on my list… M102.  Now I'm not sure why the AL requires observing "all 110" Messiers, as there is quite a bit of debate about which galaxy Messier meant when he logged M102, but I chased down the one that was listed on the seds database, NGC5866.  This was a nice change – a bright galaxy!  I had no trouble using 120X on it, but I couldn't make out much detail.  Reminded me a little of M82 in shape.  Two new-to-me Messiers in one night.  Not bad at all.  Only 9 to go now, mostly in Sagittarius, which has been a problem for me until the discovery of Keller.  I just need to get down there at the right time.

From M102, I went after some Bootes doubles that I had logged early on in my efforts.  Sadly, at that time, I used printouts of the constellations and made my notes on them.  Somewhere along the way, that paper got lost and my observations were gone.  The good news is that the stars that were impossibly difficult for me to find then are a cinch now.  I had no trouble chasing down Pi and Epsilon.  Pi was a close fit at 70X, and I noticed some clouds starting to hang around the skies.  Epsilon was an "imagination" split.  I recalled having to make multiple observations with the 4.5" before I found a night steady enough to split that close pair.  At 120X, I recorded what I saw when what looked like one star split into two attached members, noting position angle, and then went to check the list.  Sure enough, my imagination was working just fine.

I finished up my session with a check of old favorites M4 and M80 in Scorpius.  Both were easy to spot, though M4 didn't show much resolution for me.  By then, clouds were messing up the views all over the place, and I think the instability in the air combined with the low altitude rendered high magnification useless.  I stumbled upon Rho Scorpius, a very pretty triple in my finder.  I'm certain I've seen it before, but I hadn't remembered it.  Those kinds of surprises are always fun, especially as I'm finding a new interest in doubles thanks to just finishing reading James Mullaney's book on them.

It was, to sum up, AGMFA (A Great Morning For Astronomy)!

Jeff Newland
      Participant

I just may head out to Keller this weekend.  Have to see how the weather holds.
        Times:
        Fri:  Sunset:  7:48  Moonrise: 9:33
        Sat:  Sunset:  7:49  Moonrise:  10:41
        Sun:  Sunset:  7:51  Moonrise:  11:46

If the weather is good, I think Saturday for sure.  Also thinking Friday.  There won't be too much time between sunset and moonrise.  I astronomical twilight starts about the same time moonrise, so will never get too dark.  But, thinking I may go anyway. 
        If I do head out, I'll post here.  If anyone else heads out, let us know.

Jeff

Jeff Newland
        Participant

Trying to decide if I want to go out to Keller tonight or not.  Some high clouds out there and may be moving this way, but may also dissipate somewhat in the evening as they are wont to do sometimes. 

Jeff Newland
          Participant

I will be heading out to Keller tonight.  Come on out if you want.  Moonrise 10:41,  I'll probably only be there until  11:00 a the latest.  Watch the moonrise.  🙂
            Jeff

Luka B
            Participant

Wish I could've joined you. Lots of other things going on this weekend. I did sneak a peek at Saturn from my backyard though. And I managed to show my visiting friends, who were thoroughly impressed.

Dean Johnson
              Participant

Tomorrow's CSC looks pretty good for observing.

Would any of you rabid RAC observers show me your favorite local spot at Keller after the meeting? ???

Jeff Newland
                Participant

Dean, that's an idea.  I was watching the weather and they were saying it will be clear tomorrow and I was thinking, maybe should head out and do some observing and then remembered the the meeting, so I would be heading to the meeting first and then perhaps out to Keller.  So we can probably do that.
                  Jeff

Jeff Newland
                  Participant

I didn't stay out there very long Luka.  Clouds were coming in.  Probably should have stayed and looked around the Big Dipper as that was somewhat clear.  I mainly looked at Saturn.  A couple came out of the WMA and they had a look at Saturn before they left.  Orion never came out because of the cloudiness and even Sirius was seriously cover up.  😛
                    I did find M81 and M82, but not that clear and couldn't see M65 and M66 even though I was there.  Tried to find the new comet, but I don't know if I may have seen it or not.

Dean Johnson
                    Participant

If you guys (forgive my lack of PC) are willing to go to Keller WMA, I would love to go with you.

It would give me a perspectivive on other RAC's die hard observers (and I truly admire their dedication!) so I could experiencence what they go though.

You RAC hard core's go through lots more difficulties than I go thtough. I sincerly appreciate that.

sregener
                      Participant

I won't be at Keller anytime soon.  The nights are just getting too late for me.  I'm also in the process of planning an observatory for the backyard, and that will chew up time both during and after construction.

Jeff Newland
                        Participant

Dean, bring your scope and we can head out there.  I'm sure we can find some other that may want to come along.  Luka?  Anyone else reading this, we can head out to Keller after tonight's meeting.
                          Jeff

Luka B
                          Participant

I will join you guys at Keller.

Randy H
                            Participant

Just out of interest…I think the meeting won't go too long tonight –  would any of you be interested in setting up after the meeting at Gamehaven? Ranger Steve can let us in to set up near our Astronomy Day site and we can also take a look at the other two sites available for our potential observatory. I'm going to bring Elvis along.

Jeff Newland
                              Participant

Gamehaven or Keller, either would work for me.
                                Jeff

Dean Johnson
                                Participant

Awesome. Me and my trusty G8 and binocs will be there. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 2,593 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.