Author Topic: Observing tonight?  (Read 371901 times)

ellenvega

• View Profile
Re: Observing tonight?
« Reply #1920 on: March 20, 2017, 12:42:56 PM »
Although the weather isn't looking too good right now, this weekend at Eagle Bluff is open for us. Possible Messier Marathon! Stay tuned...

ellenvega

• View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: March 23, 2017, 03:17:07 PM »
Definetly a washout.  :(

darkskyjim

• View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: March 26, 2017, 03:54:13 PM »
maybe next weekend?

Randy H

• Club Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: March 31, 2017, 01:44:20 PM »
Dean and I will be at Eagle Bluff tonight.

Randy

Captain Kirk

• Club Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: March 31, 2017, 05:02:36 PM »
Elvis is open for business!
We had the sky up there, all speckled with stars, and we used to lay on our backs and look up at them, and discuss about whether they was made or only just happened.  -- Huck Finn

johnattewell

• View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: April 01, 2017, 12:57:56 PM »
Randy and Kirk:  How was the observing on Friday night at Eagle Bluff?  Did you see Comet 41P?  I was unsuccessful locating it from my backyard because the city lights, in combination with a little too much humidity, did not afford good viewing.  --  John Attewell
John Attewell
Rochester, MN

fealeybob14

• View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: April 02, 2017, 11:03:28 AM »
Jay and I didn't see the comet from our backyards in SE Roch (actually closer to Marion) on 3-31.  We did get to better collimate my Meade 8" SCT however (thanks Jay!).  After Jay left Jupiter was rising and the photo below (a single frame with the Orion 5 MP camera) was a notable improvement (for me anyway!) in showing Jupiter detail. (Most of the zonal bands and the Great Red Spot are visible).
Bob Fealey

Randy H

• Club Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: April 05, 2017, 11:36:16 PM »
Yes, we were able to easily see 41P at E.B.  It had an irregular shaped, not quite circular, but no tail to be had.  The Cocoon galaxy in Canes Venatici was another highlight.
We were out until about 12:30 when the wispy clouds took over. However, once we packed up, everything cleared up. Typical. Toasted the night sky with a beverage and went home.
But it was good to see Elvis alive and well; performing admirably.

fealeybob14

• View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: April 12, 2017, 10:19:52 AM »
Great meeting and venue last night Randy.  Couldn't resist opening the dome and getting Jupiter in the cross hairs again. Initially didn't see the Red Spot but after 2 hrs it was appearing and after another half-hour (now about 12:45) took some images.  Seeing was OK and took some video and stacked images for the photo below.
Bob Fealey

fealeybob14

• View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: April 18, 2017, 04:18:11 PM »
Jupiter remains an awesome target for small telescopes all of April (and most of the early summer).  Hopefully we'll have clear skies for the evenings of the NCRAL.  I will bring my 8"SCT and Orion 5MP camera and flat panel to show Jupiter and later Saturn.
The images below were from that setup.  The rapid Jupiter rotation is evident as the Red Spot comes into view over 20 minutes in the top three images.  Note also a moon shadow (? which moon uncertain).  The image below was exposed to show Jupiter's moons, one of which appears on the left.  The disc of Jupiter was overexposed so I cut and pasted Jupiter's disc (a bit less noisy due to image stacking) at 11:00 pm from the video taken about the same time.
Bob Fealey

Josef Ch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Public Sky observing at Soccer fields Saturday 5/6/17 9-11PM
« Reply #1930 on: May 04, 2017, 08:56:32 AM »
When:    Saturday May 6th 2017 from 9 PM to 11 PM
Where:   Parking of the Roy Watson Youth Sports Complex, Rochester, MN 55901
               North of Soccer fields at Essex Pkwy; near West River Pkwy NW and 41st ST NW
GPS:    44.067833, -92.475916
Google map:   https://goo.gl/maps/Wxm1w5UHDaG2
Observing program: Jupiter, Moon, Double stars

Please invite family, friends, neighbors, coworkers.
For last minute announcements follow up Rochester Astronomy Club (RAC)  facebook page https://www.facebook.com/rochesterastronomy/
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 10:12:04 AM by Josef Ch »

johnattewell

• View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: May 04, 2017, 09:59:26 AM »
I think Josef means Saturday May 6th, not April 6th. 

See you there!
John Attewell
Rochester, MN

Josef Ch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: May 04, 2017, 10:10:46 AM »
It's already May?  :) Thanks, John! Fixed, I hope.

Jeff Newland

• View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: May 04, 2017, 01:29:52 PM »
Hmm,  Randy was asking for people to help out at a different event on Saturday. 

http://rochesterskies.org/forums/index.php?topic=657.msg6673#msg6673

So which one to help out?   Perhaps the Music of the Spheres people could be told to go to the soccer fields if they want to see things?

Josef Ch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: May 04, 2017, 01:51:55 PM »
Thanks, Jeff. I was not aware of that.
Randy wrote on May 1st at http://rochesterskies.org/forums/index.php?topic=657.msg6673#msg6673
--
The Choral Arts Ensemble's "Music of the Spheres" concert is on Saturday May 6 at the Gloria Dei Lutheran Church here in Rochester. (1212 12th Ave NW)
The concert concludes around 9pm and they are asking if we could provide some astronomical viewing just after the show as folks leave.
Let me know if you'd be free.  A waning gibbous moon and Jupiter with its satellites and Great Red Spot should be viewable weather permitting.
--
So it looks like this event is intended for people leaving concert.
For "Music of Speres" so far responded Bob Fealey and you.

I am committed to "soccer field" with Mike Carlin and I saw also response from John Attewell.

I think we can handle both events. Soccer field we can publicly broadcast, I sent email to Randy and Bill this morning.