Author Topic: Phone adapters(even cheaper)  (Read 1786 times)

Luka

• View Profile
Phone adapters(even cheaper)
« on: January 17, 2018, 11:33:34 AM »
Found this clone of the Orion adapter.  The $10 shipping charge from Orion(on a $20 item!) kinda annoyed me, so I looked around.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SN3RMW0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mine should be here in a few days, I'll let you know if it's similar enough to be worth it this weekend.

fealeybob14

• View Profile
Re: Phone adapters(even cheaper)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 11:10:58 AM »
Hi Luka
Got mine from Orion yesterday (darn... too late!)  The Amazon one looks to be the same.  I showed it briefly at the RAC outreach last nite.
Bob
Bob Fealey

dh_meyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 11:45:21 AM »
So far, I'm not happy with the pictures I'm getting from this adapter.   Maybe my expectations were too high, but its probably an error on my part.

This (Orion Xt8) is my first telescope EVER.  Once I have an image in my eyepiece, I connect the adapter (using an iPhone 7), and the timer on the phone activates the picture taking.  My pictures are  'off center' and not well-focused.  (I'm starting with some simple, basic pictures of the moon.)

Any procedural suggestions ?  iPhone settings changes ?   Other ?

FWIW, my iPhone is in a Otter box 'case', which I know is not ideal, but not sure I want to tear that apart each time.

Thanks.

fealeybob14

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 04:00:06 PM »
Excellent observations and comments dh_meyer.  While I can't comment on your exact setup I might suggest a few pointers using similar equipment.  I have an I-phone6 and have used it with two Orion  adapters (including the one you may have used).  I take off the case (a Lifeproof one in my case) and use a low power eyepiece (20-25 mm) and get it centered over the I phone camera lens by looking at the latter through the bottom of the eyepiece.  Tighten the clamps and look again to be sure the image of the I phone lens is still centered.  I use the camera+ app rather than the camera app that comes with the I phone.  You can manually adjust the ISO and shutter speed and can magnify the image to check the focus of the moon, sun etc.  There is a timer that can be set from 5-30 seconds that permits any vibration from activating the shutter to settle down.  The 5 second wait is sufficient  in most instances.  I used the 4.5 inch Starblast reflector telescope with this setup.
Bob
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 04:02:39 PM by titanicrivers »
Bob Fealey