Author Topic: Observing tonight?  (Read 369986 times)

Captain Kirk

• Club Officers
    • View Profile
Re: Observing tonight?
« Reply #2130 on: September 08, 2018, 03:22:54 PM »
I am going to try to get down there and set up the Lunt for a while.  I'll have my daughter along, so probably depart as temps drop at dusk.
We had the sky up there, all speckled with stars, and we used to lay on our backs and look up at them, and discuss about whether they was made or only just happened.  -- Huck Finn

Captain Kirk

• Club Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: September 08, 2018, 10:13:22 PM »
I'm home already; The rest of the crew is just getting dark adapted.
We had the sky up there, all speckled with stars, and we used to lay on our backs and look up at them, and discuss about whether they was made or only just happened.  -- Huck Finn

Q

• View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: September 15, 2018, 01:18:25 PM »
I planning on setting up at home tonight out here by fisherman's inn.   A lot less light than in Rochester.   I have a few open areas on my lawn and driveway if anyone is interested in coming out and joining me.

darkskyjim

• View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: September 15, 2018, 02:36:39 PM »
can't tonight but hope to get a rain check. sounds great!

Josef Ch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Friday 10/5 (or 10/6) at Eagle Bluff
« Reply #2134 on: October 01, 2018, 07:13:49 AM »
Just reminder:
This Friday 10/6 we have Public observing at Eagle Bluff (rain day backup is Saturday 10/6) see http://rochesterskies.org/event/world-space-week-at-eagle-bluff/?instance_id=270
It is part of the World Space Week.

Randy H

• Club Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: October 12, 2018, 06:46:06 PM »
I can?t make it but John Martin has reported that he is out at Watson Fields tonight.  And has some Girl Scouts showing up!
Randy

Randy H

• Club Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: October 13, 2018, 12:04:35 PM »
Heading downtown to see if some solar viewing is possible.
Randy

Jeff Newland

• View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: December 09, 2018, 04:26:35 PM »
In case anyone was thinking of heading out there, I drove by Keller today.   It has NOT been plowed.  People have driven in there.  You'll may need to use 4 wheel drive and be ready to dig out.  Definitely need to shovel a place for a scope. 

darkskyjim

• View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: December 14, 2018, 10:13:05 AM »
In case anyone was thinking of heading out there, I drove by Keller today.   It has NOT been plowed.  People have driven in there.  You'll may need to use 4 wheel drive and be ready to dig out.  Definitely need to shovel a place for a scope.
thanks for the info Jeff! I should have read this earlier before I posted to comet thread ;)
jim

Jeff Newland

• View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: December 15, 2018, 03:39:21 PM »
Since there wasn't any outreach on Friday, Dave and I decided to try out Keller.  We both went out during the day to check it out and see what it looks like.  Keller still hasn't been plowed.   Quite a few tracks there though.   I did drive in and was able to get out with no problem.  The north end seems to have less snow and packed down more.  If you stay on the north end, should be OK.  Just take it slow and easy and have a shovel handy.   :D 
Anyway, we got out there a little before 8:00.  The moon was quite bright.  It wasn't too hard to find Comet Wirtanen.  It is quite large, but with the moon, wasn't really as easy to see as I thought it would be.  Dave and I both wondered how anyone could see that naked eye, but I guess if you were out in the country and before the moon started messing with things, it would be brighter.   Not sure how well it will be for the next few nights as the moon gets closer and goes by it.
I also tried to find Comet Swift-Gehrels, but no luck.  That one is up by Triangulum if anyone wants to look for that.  Also struck out in looking for Uranus.  Tried to find it from memory, but turned out was looking in the wrong spot..  next time.   :)
Good luck to anyone else looking for comets.   Oh..  I guess each of us saw one  Geminid...  bright, but scarce. 
Jeff

Jeff Newland

• View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: January 02, 2019, 11:10:51 AM »
Is Eagle Bluff available this weekend?  Early forecast looks like perhaps sunny on Friday and somewhat on the warm side even! 
Perhaps somewhat clear on Saturday as well?

Jeff

Jeff Newland

• View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: January 03, 2019, 09:22:32 PM »
I did take a trip out to Keller to see what that looks like.  Basically it is a bumpy ice rink with some water on it.   Doesn't look too good.   Would probably be very slippery

Luka

• View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: January 04, 2019, 01:37:38 PM »
I was out at Keller for a while with my boys, just after 6PM. It is very icy, but we found a snowy spot. I showed them a few of  my favorites, and I saw one incredible Quandrantid, 90 degrees, right overhead, -2 mag or brighter and left a trail, about 2 seconds maybe. We were there for less than an hour, as we had other commitments and they got cold. It was nice to be under skies darker than town as it's been a while for me.

Randy H

• Club Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: January 04, 2019, 04:24:13 PM »
I got no answer at Eagle Bluff when I just called.  But they had no events listed for the weekend. Not sure if that's good or bad.  I might do some driveway observing tonight.

Randy

Josef Ch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: January 05, 2019, 02:21:54 PM »
I called Eagle Bluff just now, and I've got just answering machine, at option #2 they said no events.

I am thinking about Keller tonight 1/5 about 7 PM or so. I guess it will be similar to Soccer fields - icy, see pictures from this week at http://rochesterskies.org/event/public-night-sky-observing-2018-12-14/ and detail http://rochesterskies.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/IMG_20190104_080555527_HDR.jpg