Author Topic: Total Solar Eclipse in Nebraska  (Read 6217 times)

darkskyjim

• View Profile
Re: Total Solar Eclipse in Nebraska
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 09:51:44 AM »
great shot! the sky gods blessed us also in Pawnee City
but my Iphone took crappy pic...

Q

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 11:19:10 AM »
I ended up in Orin, WY, just a few miles NW of Glendo.  Perfectly clear skies.  I have a few shots taken through the scope that turned out ok.   But mostly very difficult getting video equipment to focus.   Here's one that turned out pretty nice, you can see the sunspots.

Luka

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 12:46:01 PM »
Are these prominences?

Josef Ch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 08:29:15 PM »
I spent night at Wilber NE, but I was not sure, if weather would cooperate, so I woke up at 3 AM, and I drove to Wyoming. There was miserable foggy misty weather in the mid part of Nebraska. It was real "fun" to drive in fog. West Nebraska had good sky with clouds on the horizon. East Wyoming was cloudless. Great experience on Rd85 between Torrington and Lusk, it was gorgeous.
But there were clouds even in Wyoming. This guy made his composite from Yellowstone only so so , see https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170822.html

fealeybob14

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 01:58:24 AM »
Great photos all!   I do believe you have prominences nicely recorded Luka.  I have edited my first pix a bit to show prominences as below.  Will see how they match up with the SOHO images.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 02:09:21 AM by titanicrivers »
Bob Fealey

fealeybob14

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 10:57:26 AM »
Wow Josef!  We almost passed each other on the road in Western NE as I was driving back from eastern Wyoming from 7pm on the 20th to 2am on the 21st.  I had a day pass at a Wyoming state park but no place to sleep so I went back to Chapman NE and had a wonderful eclipse experience there.
Bob Fealey

fealeybob14

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 10:42:57 AM »
Like Q nicely shows above, sunspots were quite visible on the sun during eclipse day.  The image below shows the sun partially eclipsed on the 21st (left side, taken with iPhone6 through a 20mm eyepiece and an Orion 4.5" reflector) and the sun on 8-24 (taken with the 4.5" reflector and the Orion 5PM camera).  Both used a white glass solar filter over the telescope end.  The rotation of the sun is quite evident over the three intervening days.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 10:47:54 AM by titanicrivers »
Bob Fealey

fealeybob14

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2017, 09:28:03 PM »
I wondered if I could identify that prominent prominence!  In the figure below, I used my last image before totality (A) where sunspots were still visible (yellow arrow) I aligned my image with the SOHO sunspot image of 8-21 (sunspot 2672 specifically) (B).  The totality image was then rotated to the same degree as my sunspot image.  I then looked at the SOHO EIT304 (extreme ultraviolet image in He II, 304 Å) which shows prominences(C and D).  The EIT304 images from 8-21 show a persistent prominence (red arrow) at the location of the most prominent one visible during totality (F).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 09:49:08 PM by titanicrivers »
Bob Fealey

fealeybob14

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2017, 11:28:43 PM »
Hmmm … it appears one of the SOHO HMI continuum images from 8-21 (left)caught the sun in a partial eclipse(? from a different vantage point).  The radius of curvature of the defect matches that of the moon based on an image (right) taken at the start of the eclipse.
EDIT: However I just realized SOHO orbits the sun at L1 and so is far outside of the moon's orbit and so the moon cannot pass between SOHO's instruments and the sun!!!  Guess I'm not sure now what that defect is after all.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 01:40:01 AM by titanicrivers »
Bob Fealey

fealeybob14

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2017, 05:24:22 PM »
An eclipse sequence pic.  All taken with iPhone6 attached to 4.5 in reflector and 20mm eyepiece.  Some images rotated a little; time sequence is from L to R.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 07:11:45 PM by titanicrivers »
Bob Fealey

Mike C:\

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 10:29:44 PM »
OK, I was waiting until the next meeting to share these, but I can't wait.
Enjoy!

fealeybob14

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2017, 06:12:55 PM »
Great show Mike.  Love your corona and diamond ring shots!
Bob Fealey

Jeff Newland

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 11:23:50 AM »
We were in Friend, Nebraska for the eclipse.   A co-worker, Dave,  was also there.  He created a slide show of his trip.  He also did part of the Lincoln Highway on Sunday, so that is also included in the slide show as well as the eclipse.  The eclipse pictures are mine.

Here is a link:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_nPbuZVhxFWRUtIV0laRy1USFk

Be sure to turn on the sound..  :)

The skies cleared right before totality, seems like that is what happened for quite a few people.   :)

Jeff

fealeybob14

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2017, 04:49:44 PM »
What an awesome production Jeff!  The eclipse photos are superb and the Lincoln hwy-music part is great.  Was on that hwy (30) myself for a bit while in Chapman NE!
Bob Fealey

Jeff Newland

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2017, 09:21:58 PM »
Thanks Bob..    Just want to reiterate that the production was all Dave's.  Just the eclipse photos are mine.  He put that together about his trip to the eclipse and I agree he did a great job!  It sounds like you were on a part of Hwy 30 that he has not been on yet, but he'll probably get there some day.   :)

Jeff