Author Topic: Observing tonight?  (Read 371991 times)

ellenvega

• View Profile
Re: Observing tonight?
« Reply #600 on: July 08, 2010, 02:45:22 PM »
What time do you guys usually get there, to start setting up?  I won't be bringing my 'scope this time, as I don't have all the portability issues worked out yet.  Just kinda want to have a look-see at other people's set-ups.

Hope it stays clear.

rabomgaars

• View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 08, 2010, 06:29:39 PM »
I will try to be there by 8:30.  There is a long wait for the first stars to come out.  i.e., bring bug lotion.... and maybe a chair. 
We should have a go/no go decision by 6:00 or so??  Anyone want to volunteer to make that call? 

Invitation is open to all for a lovely evening!  I have to be in Mpls by 9:30 Sat morning so I will be on my way home by ll:30 or so.

My cell phone is 250-2947 if anyone needs information. SB

Rick Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 08, 2010, 11:29:56 PM »
I haven't been to Eagle Bluff all year. If it's clear I'll be there by 9:pm.

Happy Trails

Rick

Mr.Gorp

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 09, 2010, 10:26:28 AM »
We can't make it to Eagle Bluff tonight but would anyone be able to meet at Keller after 11pm?

Unfortunately, tomorrow looks iffy for viewing (more clouds & rain chances increasing).

Captain Kirk

• Club Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 09, 2010, 02:52:42 PM »
I might stop by Keller.  I have a dinner in the cities this evening.

Kirk
We had the sky up there, all speckled with stars, and we used to lay on our backs and look up at them, and discuss about whether they was made or only just happened.  -- Huck Finn

Rick Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 09, 2010, 03:04:57 PM »
Weather looks very good. I'll be going to Eagle Bluff... should be there by 9pm.

Happy Trails

Rick

Rick Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 09, 2010, 06:10:18 PM »
I'll be leaving home about 8pm. There might be a few clouds, but nothing serious.
Should be  AGNFA.

Rick

rabomgaars

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 10, 2010, 06:52:40 AM »
Magnificent sky.  Say it again.  Magnificent sky.  Really, how long do we wait for that opportunity?  I had a truly newbie experience - finding objects like a pro.  I spent much of the time in Scorpius and Sagittarius, those low in the sky treasures.  (I have little gravel indentations in my knees to prove it......)  My first coup was finding the Jewel Box in Scorpius - TWICE!  It is described as a bright and pretty cluster of stars and, indeed, that is what it turned out to be.  M4 by Antares, M70 in Sagitarius came easily but M69 and M54
eluded me.  On to M22 and I felt I had accomplished a lot.  I ended the evening with the double cluster NGC 869 and 884 in Peresus.
The evening was punctuated with many (Eureka.......) I found it!!

Astronomy wouldn't be astronomy without other astronomers.  My thanks to Alan Cameron and Rick Murray for sharing the enthusiasm
and being accomodating to a beginner.  Of course, I wouldn't have made these discoveries without being able to use the XT8 club scope,
so thank you for that and my little red finder scope.

On the road by 12:30, encouraged to leave  by "eau de moufette." It was AGGGNFA!   B

Dean Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 11, 2010, 10:58:21 PM »
Very happy that you had AGGGNFA!! Sorry I could not communicate with you folks this weekend. Our main computer was down and my boy Matthew got this backup one going today. I also had to tend bar and attend a once a year memorial golf tourney for a couple of high school friends that I was extremely close to.

We head to Rushmore Shadows campground tomorrow for a week of vacation.

Best regards to all of you and I hope that Rick Murray gets his Messier award at the RAC meeting on Tuesday. I will be thinking of all of you.

Maybe next weekend, we can do an Eagle Bluff event!

Best regards to all, Dean

ellenvega

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 13, 2010, 08:47:11 PM »
I wasn't able to make it and I am bummed!  However, I'd really like to bring my scope so maybe it was for the best.  And I need to get more familiar with the telescope so I don't make too much of a fool out of myself.  :)

Also need to find something better to transport my EP's in than a cardboard box!

Jim Blackwell

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 16, 2010, 03:09:35 PM »
I have recently rekindled my lifelong astronomy hobby. My sons are visiting from Ohio this week and last night, we packed up two scopes and headed for Eagle Bluff....great site! We are considering a return visit tonight if the weather cooperates. I look forward to meeting all of you soon.

Jim Blackwell  (pharmacist of the stars ;)

Dean Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 17, 2010, 12:20:25 PM »
Hello astronomy fans! We just got back from South Dakota. A campground 20 minutes from Mt. Rushmore put us up for free in return for me giving the campers astronomy presentations. All three nights were clear, it was terrific!

I had good crowds all three nights and the last night, two couples from different parts of the country had starter scopes that they didn't know how to use. It was pretty easy on setting them up and getting them started. One was a Celestron Newtonian that was a pretty decent scope, but had junky eyepieces. I had a 10mm Celestron Ultima that I let the guy use and he was floored! Those starter scopes aren't too bad if the folks use a decent eyepiece.

I clued them in on what to look for on the web and told them, "If you buy anything, just say 'Dean sent us!' I'm not sure if I'll get any gift certificates sent my way, (Ha ha) but it's worth a shot. At any rate, we have some budding amateur astronomers out there.

I'm sure the July meeting was great, and if Rick Murray got his Messier award, I'm sorry I missed it. I am very much looking forward to seeing all of you soon, but the chance to get an inexpensive vacation to South Dakota was too good to pass up. We're going back again next year. See you next month!!!!!!!!!

Jeff Newland

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 19, 2010, 08:17:12 PM »
Welcome Jim, glad to have you aboard and to hear from you.  We look forward to meeting you as well.  Hope to see you at the next meeting or else out at Eagle Bluff or perhaps Keller.  Be sure to think about the Dean's StarBQ next month.  I probably won't be able to make it, but there should be plenty of people there.

Dean, sounds like you a successful trip and a great time.  See you next month.

Dean Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 20, 2010, 09:14:38 AM »
Thanks, Jeff! I was out on Sunday night for a while. A good buddy of mine had relatives from Arizona and Oregon here and they had never looked through a telescope before. The girl from Oregon was really enthusiastic. I've got a feeling that there is going to be a new member of the Medford, Oregon Astronomy Club in the near future. Venus, Mars, Saturn, The Moon, Polaris, M13, M57, M6, M7, M8, Antares and M4 and Beta Cygnus all got attention. It was fun!

Lots of outreach this summer.

Dean Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 27, 2010, 07:01:18 PM »
How about Eagle Bluff this weekend?

It's Last Quarter Moon and if the weather is good we'd have a chance to turn around what has been a rotten summer for astronomy so far.

I'm off both Friday and Saturday nights.

Whaddya think?