Author Topic: Observing tonight?  (Read 372178 times)

Captain Kirk

• Club Officers
    • View Profile
Re: Observing tonight?
« Reply #585 on: May 31, 2010, 06:35:33 PM »
Kirk, Is it too late to chime in for Keller?  Cloud cover?  I will check back here. SB

Not at all.  CDC looked decent. I will try to be there around 8:00.

Kirk
We had the sky up there, all speckled with stars, and we used to lay on our backs and look up at them, and discuss about whether they was made or only just happened.  -- Huck Finn

rabomgaars

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 31, 2010, 06:44:36 PM »
See you there.  B

Dean Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 04, 2010, 11:31:28 AM »
I just checked the CSC for Eagle Bluff. It's not the greatest I've ever seen, but it wasn't real bad either.

I just called the Eagle Bluff staff and there is nothing going on except for a couple of people decorating for a wedding reception tomorrow.

We can have a dark parking lot for stargazing.

Anyone interested?

Dean Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 04, 2010, 06:18:17 PM »
After watching the KTTC TV weather, it looks like Eagle Bluff is out of the question. They are calling for partly to mostly cloudy skies thru the night.

If anyone does go, I would recommend LOCAL OBSERVING ONLY.

Maybe we'll have better luck next weekend.

Randy H

• Club Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 04, 2010, 06:53:48 PM »
If there's a break in the clouds, I may broadcast on NightSkiesNetwork later tonight. It'll be spotty at best.

John Preston

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: June 07, 2010, 02:25:26 AM »
Well it's almost 2:30am Monday morning and I've been out with the telescope since 9pm. Skies cleared nicely but not perfect. Dew heaters getting a little bit of a workout. Capturing some images of M27. 57, & 13. Viewed numerous Messier objects and tons of the globular clusters.

Hope to get a few good images out of this, it's been so long since I've had an opportunity to use any of my scopes.
Stellarvue SV105T Apo
Stellarvue SV70ED Raptor for guiding
Celestron CGEM
Celestron Edge HD 9.25
QHY8 Pro Imager
Stellarvue Nighthawk 80mm ED Apo
Meade DSI Pro 3, Pro 2 guide camera

Dean Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 11, 2010, 06:32:53 PM »
Eagle Bluff? Hah! It looks like we're stifled again, astronomy fans. It's a NO GO tonight, and tomorrow night doesn't look much better.

We'll get our licks in one of these days.

Dean Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 20, 2010, 11:36:44 AM »
Hello astronomy fans. I did my outreach event for the Hidden Bluffs Campground again last night. I had LOTS of kids and we did the solar system scale model and played "Trigonomic Parallax". They had a blast.

Since the Moon was at 1st Quarter, observing started early, at 7:30. The Moon, Venus, Mars, Saturn, Polaris, Alberio, and M13 was all that we looked at, but people just kept coming by and nobody complained about looking at anything else. Lots of WOW! OMG! Sweet! Cool! and even a Ridicuous! was heard. And one little boy even told me he could see an astronaut walking on the Moon. Watch out Steven O'Meara, you've got some sharp eyed competition on the way. (I knew that Televu Ethos was a good investment.)

The campground turned off the one security light that had always bothered me in the past, which was great, but the valley is still a dew trap, so when I needed to dry out my scope in the van, I just whipped my laser pointer out and did the Starbie constellation thing. They all loved that and quite a few of them were very adept at spotting sattelites going by.

I ended up with at least 40 people through the course of the night, and the last of them didn't head out until 11:30. I told them about the RAC and I think we just might end up with some new faces at the meetings in the future. And lots of Dad's got asked, "Dad, can we get a telescope?" It was a glorious night for astronomy!

Randy H

• Club Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: June 20, 2010, 06:06:35 PM »
That sounds like a great time Dean! Did you do this outreach last year too?

Dean Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: June 23, 2010, 12:03:36 PM »
Yep. And we are due to go out to Rushmore Shadows Campground for this same company in July. They put us up for free for 3 nights and we're only 20 minutes from Mt. Rushmore.

Rick Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 01, 2010, 01:45:43 AM »
Hello to all
It's been a while since I posted. It's been a very cloudy June. I have decided to try to find Pluto again. That endevour ended last summer in disapointment. I believe I have a good chance to follow it as it moves into a dark sky area for the next several days. I should find out tomorrow night. I'm also hoping to get my scope up to the lake where I have my camper this summer. No light polution at all. Dew could be an issue though. It is quite fun to have the summer sky back. In a word ... Globulars!!  ;D
I should be able to help with the Gamehaven outreach in July. I'll keep you informed.

Happy Trails
Rick
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 01:48:51 AM by Rick Murray »

ellenvega

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 06, 2010, 02:31:50 PM »
Hi.  Newbie to this board, just got seriously back into astronomy not too long ago after purchasing my first telescope.  Will there be folks out observing this Friday at Eagle Bluff, weather permitting?  If so, a colleague and I would like to stop by!

Randy H

• Club Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 06, 2010, 10:59:28 PM »
I certainly would be, but heading out of town to Chi-town all weekend. Anyone else?

rabomgaars

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 07, 2010, 08:46:59 AM »
Welcome, Ellen!   Glad to see that you are following our club on the forum. 

I called Eagle Bluff and there is nothing going on in the parking lot that evening.  Any club members interested?  Eagle Bluff has overnighters there who may be interested in coming up to look through our scopes.  Of interest also is a "Night Camp" starting Wed to Sunday next week for 6/7/8 graders whose sole purpose is to learn about the night.  Does this sound right up our alley?

If not Eagle Bluff, then Keller??  Rebecca Bomgaars

alancameron

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 08, 2010, 01:12:08 PM »
Thanks Rebecca
I am planning on going to Eagle Bluff this Friday July 9 if forecast OK
Alan Cameron