Author Topic: Observing tonight?  (Read 371901 times)

Dean Johnson

• View Profile
Re: Observing tonight?
« Reply #1155 on: March 06, 2013, 02:09:36 PM »
Stuppo and I are going out to the Flatin Farm hayfield tonight, and maybe tomorrow night weather permitting. I'm going to try and spot PANSTARRS tail against the twilight sky. LOL.

The weather does not look good for this weekend. Recommend Quarry Hill March 15th and Eagle Bluff March 16th. We may not have a chance to get all the Messiers, but we sure could break the RAC record of 82.

Feedback???

Jeff Newland

• View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: March 06, 2013, 05:51:42 PM »
Just drove out to Keller.  I guess I'll be skipping that tonight.  It hasn't been plowed.  At least one vehicle has driven out there, but there is a small pile of snow left there when the snow plow went by on the road.  I'll wait until a few more people have driven in and out before I go. 

Some vehicles, perhaps even mine, could get in and out, but just don't want to chance it.   :)

Also, if you get in, bring a shovel to clear off a space for your scope. 

Jeff Newland

• View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: March 06, 2013, 05:54:57 PM »
Dean, I would say if the forecast only has the 15th clear next weekend, we should also do Eagle Bluff then, too.  Double up.  :)

bernie engels

• View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: March 06, 2013, 06:54:38 PM »
Jeff:
I am heading out to Keller in about 25 minutes.  I'll bring a shovel to get that front plow furrow open, and then go from there...
Anyone else crazy enough to join me, come on out!

Dean Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: March 06, 2013, 09:38:10 PM »
I like Jeff's idea on Eagle Bluff for the 15th. The QH crowd will likely get the astronomers that don't want to stay out all night. I'd really like to beat the 82 we got last year for the current Messier Marathon record.

Stuppo and I got out for 3 hours tonight. I scanned the western horizon for the first hour, but no luck on PANSTARRS tail. There was some low thin clouds in the west that hung in there like luggage.

Steve started the ball rolling by nabbing M67 in Cancer. He found that pretty easy. Then I mentioned that I wanted to get M79 in Lepus for my Globular Cluster observing program. He wanted to try that too, so I started Lepus off with Gamma Leporis, a nice wide pleasing double with a good color contrast. Then I went to R Leporis, "Hind's Crimson Star", a variable and it must have been near minimum because it is blood red right now. Steve was impressed. He had never seen a carbon star until tonight. I recorded M79 and then spent some time tracking down IC 413 the Spirograph Nebula (planetary). I have to admit, it sure looks better in Randy's scope.    We finished with observations of Jupiter which is right on the edge of the Hyades.    AGNFA!!

bernie engels

• View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: March 07, 2013, 07:39:23 AM »
Great plans of mice and men....
I was on my way to keller last night with grand intentions.  I got to within a mile or two of the wma and started feeling "funny".  Not funny ha ha, but funny strange, like hot sweats, stomach stuff... :-[
I decided to turn the car around.  Must have picked up a bug from my daughter who was home from school that day...
Feel fine this a.m., so will shoot for tonight.
I also contacted a old DNR supervisor to see about getting them to blade the parking lot out there...

ellenvega

• View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: March 07, 2013, 02:12:17 PM »
Bummer, this weekend looks like a cloud-out.  Hopefully one day next weekend will work out.  Although, with all this snow, we'll probably be dealing with fog.  Just a few good hours would be nice!

Hope to catch a glimpse of PANSTARRS early next week, looks like there are a couple of clear sunsets after this weekend's storm.

Dean Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: March 07, 2013, 08:13:07 PM »
I got out for an hour and a half tonight. No PANSTARRS tail to the west. If it was there, too bad. The clouds were even thicker to the west than last night.

I caught up on my observing journal and got in a great Jupiter observation. An unusual array of moons tonight. One low and close in to the planet, but below the disc (just barely). Two medium range out, but not on the same plane. The last one further from these two, but lower, although still higher up than that strange lowball on the other side. The arraingment really looked out of whack.

Since I was out there by myself for a change, I had visions of a night of really obscure stuff. But then the wind came up, the high clouds drifted in and it was time to pack up and go. I finished with looks at the Orion Nebula and the Pleadies. I still hit 30 hours for the observing year.

I'll get my licks in yet.

bernie engels

• View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: March 08, 2013, 07:36:48 AM »
I made it out to Keller last night for about 90 minutes.  The parking lot was still not plowed.  I managed to drive in about 30 feet(and barely got back out, later!)
Sky looked good compared to my backyard in Rochester, but still alot of light from Roch.  Some high clouds moved through from time to time, but I was only there to work on memorizing my constellations, so not a huge deal.  Highlight was 3 meteors from 3 different areas in the sky.
I found out real quick that it is hard to manage a book in one hand, light in the other, and binoculars, all the while looking up to the heavens. 
question.... do most of you you as headlamp(as opposed to a hand held light)?
Dean... I did bite the bullet and ordered the Orion 9x50 rt angle illuminated.  It should arrive today, but, based on the forcast, I have no idea when I will get to use it. :-\

Dean Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: March 08, 2013, 04:13:43 PM »
Bernie, my man! Good for you. You will be very happy with it. Steve Remick told me, "I'm sure glad I listened to you and got the (9X50) finder." He told me that if he had to put up with a red dot finder, I'd have been on the neighborhood 'Dreetsac' list.

(If any of you speak Norwegian, you might be able to decipher 'Dreetsac').

Let's hope for a clear night next weekend and we can all meet at Eagle Bluff.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 06:14:21 PM by Dean Johnson »

sregener

• View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: March 10, 2013, 06:11:42 AM »
I don't use a headlamp.  I keep my charts on a small folding table.

I use a 9x50 RACI finder in combination with a Rigel unit finder, and find the pair to be absolutely perfect for starhopping.

bernie engels

• View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: March 10, 2013, 08:32:39 AM »
Thanks for the input.  Yes, a little table would make things easier.  You said you don't use a headlamp.  What is your light source for your charts?

Dean Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: March 10, 2013, 11:24:28 AM »
Bernie, just wait until we can get a big group together at Eagle Bluff or somewhere. "Here, try this OIII filter", or "Check out this adjustable chair". You'll see a wide variety of red lights, both for caps and tables, lots of different star charts, not to mention eyepieces, along with lots of different astronomical accessories my early Alzheimer's is blocking right now. ???

Bring a notebook, and a checkbook. You just might see a snake oil salesman appear out of the darkness. ;)

Dave Gross

• View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: March 12, 2013, 01:35:21 PM »
Anyone thinking of looking for comet Pan-STARRS tonight after the meeting?

-- Dave

bernie engels

• View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: March 13, 2013, 07:07:33 AM »
I watched from my living room window in NE Roch from about 7 to 8 last night, hoping for a break in the clouds, but I couldn't even find the moon(trees in the back yard didn't help either...
Looks like this evening may be the best op, based on weather forecast.