Author Topic: Observing tonight?  (Read 370048 times)

Jeff Newland

• View Profile
Re: Observing tonight?
« Reply #2355 on: July 16, 2020, 05:19:15 PM »
Jim,  not sure if that would be good or thinking Keller should be better.   The comet is toward the NW and Root River has a bright Rochester skyglow in that direction, so not sure how much that will affect it.   Maybe straight east of Rochester or west or north of town.   I'm sure Randy would have a nice view  ;)

Jeff

ellenvega

• View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: July 16, 2020, 05:47:00 PM »
I'm thinking you don't want to be south of town because of the lights. Keller looks better light-wise but I've never been there so I don't know what the skyline's like, although from google maps that parking lot looks promising.

I hope some of our image-ers will be out tonight.

Jeff Newland

• View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: July 16, 2020, 06:16:14 PM »
There are some trees at Keller, so not quite sure if they cover most of the horizon or not.  You could just head west on Salem Road and pull over into some field entrance or something. 

darkskyjim

• View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: July 16, 2020, 06:33:56 PM »
ok, thanks for the input guys. i will try Keller then...

ellenvega

• View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: July 16, 2020, 08:08:32 PM »
Darn clouds! Where did they come from? >:( >:(

Q

• View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: July 16, 2020, 08:24:29 PM »
I'm hoping those clouds thin out.  I will first check out the hill across from my house to see if it is above the tree line.  If not I'll head down the road to 44th Ave NW and White Bridge Rd just north of Oronoco.  It's a dirt road with a clear horizon and little to no traffic.  Just 15 minutes north of Rochester if you're looking for alternate locations.

darkskyjim

• View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: July 16, 2020, 11:33:18 PM »
i stopped off the side of Salem rd and got a good look at the comet. it was much higher than
i thought it would be. very nice tail and nucleus. if i get out again to see it i will try the Oronoco
site Q mentioned. every time i observe a comet i think of Don Pearce, aka "Capt Comet", a former
club member and head of the Comet SIG from my old club (HAS) whose enthusiasm for comets
was highly infectious. it is sad when many of the people you affiliated with in your hobby are no
longer with us. thanks to all that created enthusiasm in me this time and made me get off my tuchus
to go observe it! RIP Capt Comet!! you are still remembered...

johnattewell

• View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: July 17, 2020, 04:22:12 PM »
Last night I got a great pic of Neowise (see RAC Facebook page).  I found a really nice spot to get the photo.  Head west on 75th Street NW, past Douglas, to the intersection of County Road 5 NW.  Its quite flat, good horizon, and a nice little gravel pad on the SE side of the intersection to pull off.  You're out in the dark country side and far enough west so the lights of Pine Island don't interfere with the comet.  It's not a big enough place to set up a telescope (or even park many cars) but it's a cozy spot for a camera and tripod.
John Attewell
Rochester, MN

Jeff Newland

• View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: July 19, 2020, 03:04:34 PM »
The ISS is visible in the evenings now.   If your timing is right, you can get a look at the ISS as well as the comet.
Here are the times for the ISS over Rochester:
https://www.heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?satid=25544&lat=44.022&lng=-92.47&loc=Rochester&alt=322.0&tz=CST

Jeff Newland

• View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: September 18, 2020, 02:00:08 PM »
Anyone going out tonight or tomorrow night?  Is Eagle Bluff available?  Looks like it may be pretty nice.  Not as much smoke in the air today.  The ISS is visible in the evening now.

https://www.heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?satid=25544&lat=44.022&lng=-92.47&loc=Rochester&alt=322.0&tz=CST

Q

• View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: September 18, 2020, 06:43:29 PM »
We have Public viewing scheduled for Saturday, the 19th at Root River Park.

Randy H

• Club Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: September 18, 2020, 06:51:41 PM »
Dean informed me that Eagle Bluff is available Saturday night. Ellen Vega, I believe is going to be there too. I am out of town but will be back Saturday afternoon and will be planning to go there also.
Skies look good!

Randy

fealeybob14

• View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: September 19, 2020, 01:09:05 PM »
Dang it!  I have other obligations for tonight and will not be able to go to Root River Park nor Eagle Bluff.  Hopefully some club members will be at both sites for some great observing!
Bob
Bob Fealey

Jeff Newland

• View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: September 19, 2020, 03:59:35 PM »
The haze appears to be back today, but assuming no changes, I plan to head to Eagle Bluff. 

ellenvega

• View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: September 19, 2020, 06:50:00 PM »
Eagle Bluff is off for us. Hope you see this in time, Jeff.