Author Topic: Time to Buy  (Read 28516 times)

Dean Johnson

• View Profile
Re: Time to Buy
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2013, 10:40:09 PM »
That's about a 5 inch refractor. Cool!

You did the right thing about not getting GOTO. Learning the skies and aquiring the ability to starhop is half the fun of observational astronomy.

If you ever need a few pointers, you can park that fine telescope near me whenever we get to Eagle Bluff. I'd love to look through it!

Congratulations!

Dave Gross

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2013, 12:54:07 PM »
I'll definitely do that.  I'll also be doing some learning on EQ mounts.  Sounds like pointing the scope where you want can sometimes require a bit of maneuvering.

-- Dave

Dean Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2013, 01:21:41 PM »
Yes. Please do that. The first thing you want to do with an EQ mount is to get polar alignment. There are two long screws that will help you get the proper "tip" to center on Polaris. After that, you don't touch them for the rest of the night. If you get any resistance on one, you have to loosen the other. If you try to force the screw that is giving you resistance, you can ruin your mount. I did that to my first EQ mount.

After you get polar alignment done, you just use your locking handles to loosen up your scope and swing it to wherever you want to go. It's all pretty easy once you have done it. If your EQ mount is similar to mine, it'll be a cinch.

You will also find that if you go observing a lot, you won't have to turn those screws much to get a proper polar alignment. If you only go out say, once a month, you will find that it will take several turns to achieve proper polar alignment.

Randy H

• Club Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2015, 08:29:36 PM »
I received a message from a RAC website contact offering the following:

"I would like to know if any of your members make telescopes or are interested in doing so. If so would they be interested in a 2 or 3 of 6\" blanks. I also have an a 8\" perforated f4 and a 12.5\" perforated f4? Both of the mirrors need to be refigured.

I also have volume 1 and 2 of Advanced Telescope Making Techniques by Allan Mackintosh and How to Make a Telescope by Jean Texereau. I also have some grinding and polishing compound. I am willing to donate these items to your club if there is a need."

Let me know if you're interested and I will send you his contact information.

Randy

Randy H

• Club Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2015, 08:32:46 PM »

From Gordon Stewart, a Lacrosse Amateur Astronomy member:

An acquaintance of mind sent me some information about an amateur selling his homemade 20? Dob telescope. It is a go-to scope with CCD imagery/star guiding and operated by remote from his living room. You see this on Astromart/reflectors/Computerized 20 inch F5 Dobsonian or you go to his website larrypuhl.com . Click on Telescope. His website has other interesting thing as well. Larry is willing to sell components, but first he wants to sell the whole thing. He can be reached at 1-224-489-4330. The telescope is located in Readstown, Wisconsin, which is about 3? on the map from La Crosse on Hwy 14:)

Randy

jlmanatee

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2015, 03:26:03 PM »
Refractor-itus stung me badly and I've just ordered a 127mm APO.  So I'm selling my trusty  8" Celestron CPC 800 GoTo SCT with its heavy duty tripod and Stanley hard box for $1400.  I also have a heavy duty Celestron wedge I'll be selling for $250.  I plan to put these on Cloudy Nights, but shipping is a pain.  So I'd rather sell it locally.  This combination has given me many nights of awesome astrophotography sessions with my Canon DSLR (which may also be going on sale soon). 
I'm only doing this because I have a new CCD camera and it's a  better fit vis-a-vis the arcseconds/pixel ratio.  If you're interested in getting into AP with a DSLR, this rig will get you started.  Talk to me.

Jeff Newland

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2015, 10:25:25 PM »
Jack, If I just had some more money.  Can never have enough telescopes.  But, CPCs are on sale this month.   :)
Would be a good deal for sure.

Randy H

• Club Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2015, 10:20:53 PM »
Another RAC website inquiry regarding selling their scope: An Omni 102 XLT series Telescope. It is over a year and half and never been touched except to put up. $400. If interested, I will get you in touch with the owner.

Randy

jlmanatee

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2016, 09:47:40 PM »
SOLD as of 11/30/16

I"m selling a couple items and would give good deals if selling locally (no shipping)
Ioptron ZEQ25 Goto mount - $600
Atik 314L+ mono CCD camera - $750
A set of Astronomik 1.25" LRGB filters - $160

All in great shape.  Pictures available upon request.  Soon to be offered on Astromart and Cloudy Nights. 

jack(at)waldenspecs.com
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 07:19:17 AM by jlmanatee »

jlmanatee

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2017, 07:27:17 AM »
I have a lead on a little-used Celestron NexStar 6SE 6.0" Computerized Telescope owned by a gentleman near La Crescent MN.  He received it as a gift from someone who had won it several years ago.  As is too often the case, he's never used it.  He's aware that it sells for between $700-$800 new and is willing to take offers.  Email me for a couple pics and contact info.   jack "at" waldenspecs.com.

Luka

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2019, 02:38:53 PM »
If someone is looking for a Christmas present scope: there is  an AWB Onesky for $100 in Caledonia, on the Facebook marketplace. The AWB Onesky is a nice 5" table-top dob. Supposedly the best for the money, and an even better deal for 1/2 off. If you don't have facebook, I can help you contact the seller. It's the same as the Sky Watcher Heritage 130p.

Mr.Gorp

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2021, 07:57:00 PM »
If Santa didn't bring you what you wanted for Christmas, how about a new Green (or red or blue) laser pointer from Z-Bolt. American made. Discount until Jan 31st.

Astronomy Kit: https://www.custom-laser-pointers.com/lithium-515nm-low-temp-astronomy-kit

Closeouts:  https://www.custom-laser-pointers.com/closeout-laser-specials

They have an extreme temp (14-222 degree) lasers.  And even a Military Briefer GLP to show your favorite branch colors.

We have been very happy with our Z-Bolts.