Home Forums RAC Main Forum General Discussion Time to Buy

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Luka B
    Participant

I think the newest version of stellarium has a night sky mode, doesn't it?

bwyman
      Participant

Yes, Stellarium has a night sky mode. It is an eyeball looking thing in the bar that pops up from the bottom. It has a star instead of an iris. 🙂 Version 0.11.0.

Mr.Gorp
        Participant

That's good while I'm in Stellarium, but what happens starting it up or if I switch to a different program? 

By default, I'd go back to the really bright (relative to night skys) Windows OS menus and screens. I'd like to know if there is anything that kills — or mutes the screen colors/brightness to save my night vision.

Other than a star program (Stellariun, Starry Night, etc.) are there any other programs that I would want to use?

Randy H
          Participant

Cartes du Ciel is still the most complete freeware planetarium to use.

Though many planetarium have a red nightsky mode, I haven't seen any program that completely gives you a muted red screen. Your best bet is a red semi-transparent acrylic overlay for the screen. I have cut my own and can show you at the StarBQ. A vendor at the Nebraska Star Party had a large variety of precut ones at a decent price.

Mr.Gorp
            Participant

I must be too much of a tech guy, looking for a software solution. The plastic film is such a simpler, direct route. Thanks!!

Mr.Gorp
              Participant

Green Laser Pointers. We purchased a Jasper Curve two years ago and ware happy with it (except for the operator error — putting the batteries in backwards  🙁

This last week I came across these: http://www.frys.com/product/6156049
                For $9 + s&h. Almost makes one buy a spare. Unfortunately no specs on how powerful it is. I'm guessing a fairly small power — given that their are not specs. I've been happy with the other products that Frys has carried. wonder how these would work. 

Anyone else have experience with Green Laser pointers?

Mr.Gorp
                Participant

Interesting in Fujinon Binoulars. Anyone know if there are any differences in new vs. slightly older ones (5-10yrs)? Are there any major feature changes in the last 5-10 years? Has their reliability and quality always been the same (top notch)?

How do Vixen binuluars stack up to Fujinon in price/perfromance?

Any opinions on Leica, Leupold, Steiner, Swarovsky, Zeiss?

sregener
                  Participant

I'd ask your questions on the Binocular forum over at cloudy nights.com…. Those guys know a ton, and some of them have owned upwards of 20 pairs.

Everything I have read says the Canon IS line is the absolute best for astronomers, with the steady image having the same effect as adding 20mm to the aperture…

Luka B
                    Participant

[quote author=sregener link=topic=275.msg4934#msg4934 date=1332843108]
                      Everything I have read says the Canon IS line is the absolute best for astronomers, with the steady image having the same effect as adding 20mm to the aperture…
                      [/quote]
                      But some people see and hate the jitters that they can cause. Also the IS mechanism is electro mechanical, which can break. Zeiss makes  a 20×60 IS that is purely mechanical(or magnetic?), which is twice as expensive as the Canon. The Canon's are more divisive in the love it or hate it sort of way than any other.

Fujinon's Polaris line has always been top notch in quality. They can have problematic "nose relief" I've heard, for people with big noses and deep set eyes. They have changed the coatings a bit, but they were always very good. Contrast and sharpness are excellent, and they're all individual focus. I've heard they changed some of the optical design, but that's a rumor that I can't confirm or deny. They have changed the objective covers though, for the worse, but that's a small gripe. In the 15×70 and the 10×70 size, many people think that the Oberwerk Ultra or Garrett SS are as good as the Fujinon 16×70 for half the price. But for the 10×50 size, the Fujinon is better.

Regarding Vixen, I've heard bad things about their ARK series. But their 7×50 Forresta are superb. Their very large binoculars(mount only) are good.

Leica's are excellent, but expensive, and for astronomy you might get more from the Canon IS series, or Nikon Prostars. Leupold's are good, but rarely the best for the money. Steiners are great for hunting, and not so popular with the astronomy crowd. Supposedly they use more glue and plastic and less screws and metal than competitors, but that's only a problem with fixing them, not viewing through them. Swarovsky and Zeiss make amazing binoculars but not big ones. The best one I've heard is the Zeiss BGAT 15×60 porro, which some say is best astronomy binocular ever.

Binoculars are very personal things, and can be a great fit or a very poor fit, like gloves or shoes. Deciding what to see and where you want to use them, and then how much aperture and magnification you want will partly determine what you should consider. And then of course price.

Captain Kirk
                      Participant

I have a neat toy that needs a equitorial mount (Lunt 80mm refractor – 14 lbs).  Let me know at the meeting this week if you've unearthed such a thing whilst spring cleaning.

Kirk

Randy H
                        Participant

Kirk, bring it the meeting Wednesday (if you can make it).

ELY_M
                          Participant

I gotten my green lasers off of ebay for cheap.
                            it is really powerful one anyway. 

sregener
                            Participant

It is time to buy?  A friend of mine is walking away from the hobby (I tried to talk him out of it, believe me) and is looking to sell a good condition Orion XT8 Dobsonian with a R&P focuser installed, and a single-speed Orion Crayford focuser that could be attached if the opening for the focuser was expanded about 1/4".  Comes with a finder and a couple of eyepieces, but nothing special there.  He wants what he put into it a couple years ago… $190.  If you're interested or know of someone who is, let me know.

Luka B
                              Participant

Meade still has these: http://store.meade.com/7×42-montana-binoculars-with-strap-and-carry-case.html . They originally sold for $300, then $150, and I got them for $100 a few years ago, now they're $80. They are superb for $80, and were even a good deal for $150. They're 8.2 degrees, phase-coated, fully multi-coated, with very long eye-relief. Very comfortable with and without glasses. Their 6mm exit pupils are noticeably bigger than 4-5mm ones on more common binoculars, and they have a wonderful "instant image" effect as soon as you put them to your eyes. Since they are lower power, they are easy to hand hold steadily, even on a bad day.  Their one drawback is that there is some rolling-ball effect. Not much, and it's visible more during the daytime. These are made in Japan.

Dave Gross
                                Participant

I finally purchased a telescope!  Orion AstroView 120ST refractor.  No GoTo, so I guess I'll be learning the skies.  Can't wait for it to arrive!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 88 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.